Fall in love with running
Crisp, refreshing, beautiful. I would have written this article on the first day of fall, but I was too busy enjoying the great outdoors in my favorite running season. I’m not alone in this feeling, as over and over I hear about how runners look forward to and enjoy running during fall the best. Here are my top 10 reasons that fall reigns supreme:
- Cooler Temperatures: Depending on where you live, gone are the days that you have to check the weather reports for humidity and extreme temperatures. The temperature is justttt right between 40 and 60 degrees. Running in a long sleeve shirt and shorts is my ideal layering and fall allows for that perfect combination.
- Beautiful Views: I could get lost in the changing of the leaves and the colors that surround me as I’m running on both the trail and the roads. Oranges, yellows, and reds; enough said.
- Crunching of leaves: This has to be one of my all-time favorite sounds. As the leaves fall to your ground in late October, the sound of “crunch-crunch” over the leaves fills the air along with the smell of fall.
- Post-run drink: My favorite post run drink is chocolate soy milk. But when the temperatures dip lower, I switch to hot chocolate. Day-dreaming of this yummy drink provides a great distraction during tough workouts.
- Big Races: Excitement is in the air with big marathons such as the New York City Marathon. Marine Corps, and Chicago. I always enjoy following the races live and living vicariously through the runners if I cannot be at the race. (Dang NYC lottery, someday I will get in)
- Memories of past fall running: Although I’m 10 years out of high school, fall always brings up fond memories of my years running and competing in high school cross-country; which was my favorite sport. If only I could go back and apply all the running lessons I know now, sigh.
- Halloween Candy: What does this have to do with running? You know those little bite size snickers. Now you know what running motivation is. :)
- Race Time: Fall is the time where most races occur. Typicially I have a fall race planned (my little toe ruined that one, check out Woe is Me article). But usually fall is the time to see if all those runs in the heat and humidity paid off. Good luck to everyone with a fall race coming up
- Food Treats: Just like Halloween candy, the season is filled with some of my favorite scents and flavors. Apple. Cinnamon. Pumpkin. Thanksgiving dinner. Fall is time for comfort food and running provides the motivation to not added the dreaded holiday pounds.
- New Beginnings: Fall is the season for new opportunities and beginnings. When we were younger it was a new school year and for runners it’s a chance to set goals for the new year. I always use fall (after my big fall race) to reassess my fitness and work on my weakness while the temperatures continue to drop. Fall is a time for a clean slate and a fresh outlook.
Now stop reading this article and head outside to enjoy your surroundings.
What is your favorite season for running?
About the Author: Erin Nielsen is a certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and ambassador for SKORA Running with a Master’s Degree in Health Promotion. When not writing for Born to Run, Erin is most likely running, reading, or helping others become healthier individuals. Current Shoe Rotation: SKORA Base, Form, Phase, & Core and Vivobarefoot Jing Jing.
In’s and Out’s of Compression Clothing →
← The Top 5 Best Halloween Races
Leave a Reply